This is, hands down, the best wassail recipe! Not only is it delicious, it is also super simple to make. And the best part is, your house will smell like Christmas morning!
We live in a German town in the Texas hill country, where we have a Wassailfest every December. Each of the businesses downtown makes its own wassail recipe to serve everyone. At the end of the evening, everyone turns in their ballot for their favorite Wassail.
It is one of our favorite nights of the year. Our entire town looks like a little winter wonderland. Feels a little bit like we are living in Stars Hallow.
This post is all about the best wassail recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp whole cloves
- whole nutmeg cracked into pieces
- sliced orange fresh or dried
- sliced apple fresh or dried
- 8 cups apple cider
- 2 1/2 cups orange pineapple banana juice – this is a must, it adds the perfect balance of flavor to the wassail.
- simple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a large dutch oven.
- Simmer for at least 45 minutes over medium-low heat – The longer it simmers, the better it tastes.
- Ladle into clear glass mugs
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, and apple and orange slices
Other Posts You May Like:
- You can add red hots to your cup if you prefer a strong cinnamon flavor.
- Star Anise
- Fresh lemon juice if you enjoy a tart wassail
- Cranberries – also ads a tartness to the wassail
Tips for the Best Wassail Recipe:
- I typically wrap all of my additions (cinnamon Sticks, nutmeg, and cloves) in a piece of cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine. This makes it easier to scoop into the mug.
- My secreet to the best wassail recipe is the simple syrup and using orange pineapple banana juice.
How to Store Wassail:
I store my wassail in the refrigerator in the pot I used to simmer it. Wassail is kind of like a fine wine. It gets better with age. The longer it sits, whether hot or cold, the better it tastes.
The wassail can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. But, honestly, I doubt it will last that long. I typically take the it out each morning and warm it up for breakfast.
Wassail Simmering Pot Gifts:
These make wonderful gifts during the holidays. Read her to see how to make them.
My sister-in-law gave me one of these on Christmas eve a few yars ago and it was one of the best gifts I have ever received. Since then I have started making them each year to share with family and friends.
They make the perfect christmas morning drink. All you have to do is slice the orange and place everything in a dutch oven with apple cider or even apple juice in a pinch. It makes the most delicous warm beverage.
This post was all about the best wassail recipe.
I have been. making waswsail for years for our friends and family and everyone always asks for the recipe. My secret is the simple syrup. It helps to sweeten an otherwise tart drink.
Other Posts You May Like: