I have spent so much time getting this recipe perfect, and THIS IS THE BEST OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE!!!! The texture of the custard is a perfect consistency, unlike some recipes that end up just being scrambled eggs and bread.
And if the perfect custard isn’t enough, the praline topping adds the perfect amount of crunch and texture.
This Post is all about The Best Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Deep 9×13 baking dish – this is the exact dish I bought for this casserole and it works beautifully
- 1 Tbs softened butter for greasing the pan
- 1 loaf of Italian bread cut into 1-inch slices
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract if you don’t have the paste
- praline topping
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 TBS light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Grease a DEEP 9×13 pan – needs to be deep because the custard will expand as it cooks.
- Arrange bread in two layers
- in a large bowl, lightly beat eggs
- add the milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat lightly
- Pour the mixture over the bread making sure it gets between the layers
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap
- Refrigerate overnight
- In the morning remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 375° and place rack in the top third of the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the praline topping by combining all ingredients and mixing well
- Spread praline topping over the casserole
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is toasted and the middle is set
- Serve warm with maple syrup and fresh fruit and optional: powdered sugar
This is absolutely the best of the Best French Toast Casseroles. You won’t believe how simple it is to make. It’s the perfect addition to any breakfast buffet.
I find myself looking forward to the next holiday because I know it will be on the breakfast menu.