Warm, hearty, and bursting with flavors, Lasagna Soup is the perfect comfort food for chilly days.
This delectable twist on the classic lasagna combines all the savory goodness in a bowl, making it an easy-to-make and satisfying dish. Let’s explore the best Lasagna Soup recipe that will have your taste buds singing.
For the Soup:
- 1 lb Italian sausage or ground beef
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 28 oz can san marzano tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Red Pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz lasagna noodles – pasta of your choice
- Fresh basil to garnish
For the Cheese Mixture:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown the Meat:
- In a large pot, cook the ground sausage/beef over medium heat until browned. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute Vegetables:
- Add diced onions and Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add minced garlic to the pot. Saute for another minute or two, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Build the Soup Base:
- Stir in canned tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, oregano, basil, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and let simmer for several minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Return the sausage to the pot.
- Add the sausage/ beef back to the pot.
- Cook the Noodles:
- Break the lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces and add them to the simmering soup. Cook until the noodles are tender.
- Prepare the Cheese Mixture:
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese until well combined.
- Finish the soup with cream:
- Add the cream to the soup and stir until it is well-mixed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the cheese mixture.
See Also: The Secret to the Best Homemade Croutons
- Vegetarian Option:
- Substitute the ground beef with plant-based protein or extra vegetables like mushrooms and zucchini.
- Spicy Kick:
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce for those who enjoy a bit of heat.
- Use gluten-free lasagna noodles to make the soup suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
Feel free to adjust the recipe based on your preferences, and enjoy your delicious homemade lasagna soup!
See Also: The Best French Onion Soup Recipe
How to Store:
- Store any leftover Lasagna Soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Lasagna Soup can be frozen for longer storage. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored for up to 2 months.
This is my favorite way to store my leftover soups.
Tips and Tricks:
- Enhance Flavors:
- Let the soup simmer on low heat for an extra 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Cheese Swirl:
- To create a beautiful cheese swirl on top, use a toothpick or skewer to gently drag through the cheese mixture after adding it to the soup.
- Fresh Herbs:
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley just before serving for a burst of freshness.
What ingredients do I need for lasagna soup?
You’ll need ground beef or Italian sausage, diced onions, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef or vegetable broth, lasagna noodles (broken into pieces), ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a blend of Italian herbs like oregano and basil.
Can I make lasagna soup vegetarian?
Absolutely! You can omit the meat and use vegetable broth instead. Add in extra vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or spinach for a hearty vegetarian version.
How do I enhance the flavor of my lasagna soup?
To enhance the flavor, consider adding red wine, balsamic vinegar, or a splash of Worcestershire sauce. These ingredients can add depth and richness to the broth.
Should I cook the noodles separately?
It’s a good idea to cook the lasagna noodles separately to prevent them from becoming too mushy. Add the cooked noodles to the soup just before serving to maintain their texture.
How can I make the soup thicker?
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can either reduce the amount of broth or add a slurry of water and cornstarch to the soup. Mix the cornstarch with a small amount of cold water before adding it to the simmering soup.
When should I add the cheese?
Add the cheese just before serving. Stir in ricotta cheese, and top each serving with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. This ensures that the cheese melts nicely into the hot soup without becoming overly gooey.
Can I make lasagna soup in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the soup in advance and refrigerate it. Keep the noodles separate until serving to prevent them from getting too soft. Reheat the soup on the stovetop, and add the noodles just before serving.
What are some optional toppings?
Consider topping your lasagna soup with fresh basil, parsley, or a drizzle of olive oil. A dollop of ricotta or a sprinkle of extra Parmesan adds a nice finishing touch.
Can I freeze lasagna soup?
It’s possible to freeze lasagna soup, but it’s recommended to freeze it without the noodles. When reheating, cook fresh noodles separately and add them to the soup.
Any tips for serving?
Serve lasagna soup with crusty bread or a side salad for a complete meal. Allow it to cool slightly before serving to avoid burning your mouth.
This Post was All About the Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
This Lasagna Soup recipe offers a delightful and convenient way to enjoy the flavors of traditional lasagna in a comforting bowl. Whether you stick to the classic version or add your own twist, this soup is sure to become a favorite in your household. Cozy up with a bowl, and savor the warmth and goodness of this heartwarming dish.